Sunday, October 27, 2013

Where am I?


I've been sitting in Starbucks for almost 3 hours working on homework, when a thought just hit me:  All those years ago, I imagined what my life would be like when I was a senior in college.  It's really nothing like I imagined.  I remember sitting in small group as a high school junior raving over what we would do to be in college and how much better our lives would be.  Our small group leader Lizzy gave us a little nugget of advice: enjoy where we are because we won't be there ever again.  She also taught us a lot about patience.  As I sit here working on hours upon hours of my never ending to-do list of college assignments, I've come to realize where I thought I would be and where I really am.

I thought my company would be in more retail stores, but today I am working on a new business plan.
I thought I would be manufacturing bath products for the rest of my life, but today I am contemplating doing an internship with a new company.
I thought I would be engaged, but today I'm as single as ever.
I thought I would still be best friends with everyone from high school, but today I only keep in touch with one or two.
I thought I would be independent, but today I'm still as dependent - just in different ways.
I thought I would have freedom, but today I have found a different freedom than I was seeking.
I thought I would have security, but today I'm not even sure where I will be next week.
I thought I would have my life together, but today I'm still waiting to figure that out.

I'm currently backpacking through the wild journey called life.  No matter what I plan for, there are always going to be bumps in the road (#cliche).  The good news is that I know that what I want is not always the Lord's plan, and the Lord's plan is SO MUCH better than anything I could plan or hope for.

Just some thoughts today as I sit in a Starbucks.
Cait

If you have a Twitter, follow my personal account @caitlinabs

2 comments:

  1. Wow Caitlin, I know you are a thinker. This is great. So many folks act constantly and think later (if they ever get realistic) You are on your way to great success. You are learning how to enjoy the journey. This is one of the most valued lessons in life. The bible verses about God giving us the desires of our hearts works in many ways......He gives us the right desires (after much working with us) so that we will desire His desires for us. This is right were He wants us and now you are ready to really find that joy, peace and understanding that the world longs for (even if they do not know it) ......May God continue to guide and bless you. Keep this teachable heart and no telling where He might lead you........It is yet to be seen what one person can do that is totally sold out to Him and does not care who gets the credit. I love you, Meme

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are doing really well for starting up a few years ago. Curious to hear about the possible new internship.

    ReplyDelete